Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dam Jam

Dam Jam was fun last weekend. Saturday was light very shifty wind that saw the fleet really mixing it up throughout each race. Alex Monroe and Adam Anderson were consistent in keeping their speed and finding wind throughout the day and each won two races, with Alex holding a 1-point lead over Adam at day's end. I struggled with finding wind at times and only managed one top-3 finish, but at least it was a bullet in race3.

Sunday was forecast with more wind that was set to build throughout the day. The first race (R6) I had to overcome a poor start to salvage a fourth place as Peter, Adam, and Alex checked out on the rest of us. The wind got over 10mph by R7 and I finally got my act together to win the race. R8 had more wind and Adam and I duked it out to the finish in a strong puff as we tacked to the starboard layline to finish. Adam was higher into the wind and had to push off the wind to get down to the boat (low end of the line) while I was lower and right on the layline sailing more comfortably. But he hunkered down through the puff and held me off at the finish.

R9 had probably the most wind of the regatta (gusts to 20) and me and Don Atlmeyer got to the upwind mark first. We caught a great puff coming around the mark and were able to plane all the way through the next two reaching legs. I was able to hold off Don for the bullet. R10 was also windy and Adam and I got a good start to lead at the top mark. I shifted gears quicker for the reaching legs and took another bullet.

With 10 good races in the books, my brother Adam Anderson took home the Dam Jam title. He sailed well both days and had very few mistakes. I dug too big of a hole for my title hopes on Saturday but was able to sail well enough Sunday to tie with Alex, and win the tiebreaker (most bullets) for 2nd overall.

RESULTS:    A Fleet    |    Kona    |    Sport

Click HERE for pictures from the 2014 Dam Jam, courtesy of "Low Boom" Larry Reed.

Up next is US Windsurfing National Championship in Worthington, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment