Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day One at Door County

Day One leader Alex Monroe, US292
Wisconsin had strong winds Thrusday and Friday, blowing itself out for the start of racing on Saturday. We were for postponed for a few hours, but at least the weather was sunny and there is plenty to do in Ephraim. I personally went and got a fantastic Russian sandwich from the Second Story restaurant at the old post office down the street.

The lake breeze didn't fill in as we hoped but Steve and Ann on RC still made the wise call to send us out for some quick races despite the light winds. We got in three windward-leeward two-lap courses in quick succession. Alex Monroe paced the fleet with very quick upwind sailing and a nose for the wind. Andy Gratton and myself mixed up the rest of the top 3. Alex has two firsts and a second, I have a 2-3-2 for a score, and Andy had a 3-1-3.

Race 1 I was over early and happy to salvage a 2nd place.

Race 2 I lined up for a port start with the wind coming in hard from the left (westerly, the forecast lake breeze direction) only to have a competing puff come in from the launch shore (the right) and lift the starboard tackers. Andy and Alex were off like a shot and I had to work to get into 3rd position.

Race3 I had a good start and was able to get upwind quickly, just not as quick as Alex. I followed him around the course making ground downwind but losing ground upwind.

The new Phantom worked well in the lightwinds as did the Severne 9.5. Everything felt much better than the last light wind race I did (Saturday at Worthington). I just need to pay more attention to my starts...and get some upwind tips from Alex ;)

Door County cake at the event dinner
Racing was followed by a delicious supper right at the race sight. Jan and everyone always do a great job with that.

Later I watched the Fish Creek fireworks from the balcony of the Cookery while having some cherry pie.

More racing tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment